SAINT XAVIER’S HIGHER SECONDARY SCHOOL, TURA A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL
Run by the Missionaries of Christ Jesus or MCJ, an International Missionary Religious Congregation, Saint Xavier’s Higher Secondary School, Tura, a Catholic Church Institution was established in 1950 with Garo Section and in 1959 with English Section. At that time the need of the Mission in Garo Hills was the education of girls.
St. Xavier’s School is the first Mission of the Congregation of the Missionaries of Christ Jesus, Tura is remembered as having given birth to the first Indian Sister of the Congregation – Sr. Margaret M. Sangma.
St. Xavier’s School was the First English Medium School from primary up to high school which results in speedy promotion of education. Through the school, over the years, passed hundreds of boys till 6 and girls received education and became useful citizens. In the educational services and school, the students have been dealt with no distinction of caste and creed influenced to study hard, inspired them with a formation of strong moral character and discipline, a necessity for a student to become a good citizen.
In 1950, (L) Mother Maria Camino Sanz Orrio along with other sisters carried out the spadework, to establish the school on a firm footing. Mother Maria Camino Sanz Orrio was the first school Principal.
After Mother Camino, the succeeding Principal are:
|(L) Sr. Magdalena Cortes||1951 – 1953|
|(L) St. Maria Isabel Aurusa||1953 – 1957|
|(L) Sr. Julia Jimenez||1957 – 1959|
|(L) Sr. Maria Teresa Villanueva||1959 – 1960|
|(L) Sr. Conception Sagaseta||1958 – 1959|
|(L) Sr. Blanca Hernadez||1959 – 1963|
|(L) Sr. Conception Sagaseta||1963 – 1966|
|Ms. Celine Pinto||1966 – 1968|
|Ms. Joan Pinto||1968 – 1969|
|(L) Sr. K Theresa Alappatt|
|Sr. Mariat Fernandez||1969 – 1971|
|(L) Sr. Lydia Sequeira||1972 – 1975|
|Sr. Marline Pinto||1975 – 1982|
|Sr. Violet Fernandez||1983 – 1992|
|Sr. Jane Fernandes||1992 – 1993|
|Sr. Sarah John Mothi||1993 – 2003|
|Sr. Felci Fernandes||2004 – 2008|
|Sr. M. Rem||2008 – 2016|
|Sr. Maria D’ Silva||2017|